martes, 7 de enero de 2014

Warhammer 40k ruins

Hi all, new year, new project.
I’m trying to not accumulate scenery, but to build is something that I like, so my solution is to build a new piece and get rid of an old one.





For this project, I have relied on the plans that you can find in Confessions of a 40k addict. Yes, I know, I have to be less lazy and do myself the plans, but these are really cool...
I’ve used cardboard for the building, and although I like to use PVC-foam, at my work I have tons of cardboard so, I opted for it.


I did the facades and then just broke like a destroyed building. I also made the floor of  the first floor with a piece of foam board, under it, stuck a few pieces of barbecue matches simulating beams, it would have been better if I had used Evergreen, but the idea was to do it all using only what I had at home.


For the base, I did not use cardboard because as I have proven, foam board can warp making the scenery dancing on the table. I did not have enough balsa wood, which is very good for these purposes, so I first tried using a sheet of PVC-foam, and the truth is that I am very happy with the result. I will use this material much more, is very versatile and is not expensive if you know where to buy it.



I did the first floor tiles carving directly on the carton (PVC used here would have been better). The ground ones, making small cardboard squares and gluing the tiles one by one.


Next was the pieces of roof that fell from one plant to another, irregular pieces of cardboard that I distributed over two floors, also put some pieces over wooden match to represent the pieces of broken beam that fell in the collapse.



Then I put earth (like the GW one) for different areas, then used aquarium rocks to simulate rubble and finally used a fine sand that I distributed in all the floor.



The ruins are ready to be painted. In the next post I will show how it has been.